The Gallery of Modern Art in Hradec Králové was founded in 1953 as the Regional Gallery of what was then the Hradec Králové region. Located at first in the Rychnov nad Kněžnou castle, it moved to Hradec Králové in the spring of 1963 and took up residence in the two wings of the Bishop´s Palace on the Grand Square. The gallery found its permanent residence in 1990 when it moved to this building, a former Credit Saving Institute.

The gallery´s collections focus principally on the development of Czech modern art. The permanent exhibition of the gallery´s collection traces the development of Czech visual art from the turn of the 20th century to the works of contemporary artists.

Since 2008, the gallery oversees another two collections of art - the collection of the Gallery of Vladimír Preclík and a cycle of statues named A Tale of Human Suffering and Hope, displayed in the open countryside on the meadows between Stanovice and Žireč, not far from Kuks.